Length: Part-time (Up to 4 Positions)
Department/Division: Transportation & Environmental Services/Transit Services
Hours: Up to 24 hours per week
Union: Unifor Local 4304
Wage: $26.65 - $32.56 per hour
Location: MOPLUS, 250 Strasburg Rd., Kitchener
Closing Date: June 30, 2022
Description of Duties:
Operates specialized vehicles to provide public transit to persons with special needs.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities Required:
• Reading, writing, math, and communication skills, acquired through a grade 12 education plus 2 years of experience operating a related vehicle, or equivalent industry experience.
• Must hold a valid Class F driver's licence and acceptable driving record to operate Regional vehicles.
• Ability to follow/knowledge of the Regional roads system and corporate policies/procedures and related legislation (e.g., Occupational Health and Safety Act, Highway Traffic Act).
• Communication and human relations skills to exchange information with co-workers and the public; use tact, patience, listening, and courtesy when dealing with clients; resolve problems/complaints from the public; report vehicle malfunctions; and participate as an effective team member.
• Knowledge of constraints for persons with disabilities.
• Must hold a valid Emergency First Aid certification with CPR.
• Ability to work independently per schedule (subject to review by supervisor). Ability to refer incidents regarding inaccessible locations, new types of wheelchairs, difficult passengers, vehicle problems, and work assignments to supervisor.
• Must provide an acceptable Police Vulnerable Sector Check (Level 3).
• Ability to read, interpret, and follow assigned schedules. Ability to complete reports (e.g., incident, accident, CVOR, daily schedule, cash).
• Ability to support and project the Region’s values.
As a condition of employment, new Region of Waterloo employees will be required to submit proof of COVID-19 vaccination. Successful candidates will be required to submit proof of COVID-19 vaccination (two doses) from the Ontario Ministry of Health website or the World Health Organization directly through the Region of Waterloo Vaccination declaration survey. Successful candidates who have appropriate written proof of a validated medical reason, or a reason pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code, for not being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 may provide such documentation to the Recruitment Team. Such situations will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Please apply online, by the closing date Jun 30, 2022 quoting competition number 2022-1452.
We thank all applicants in advance; however, we will be corresponding only with those selected for an interview.
The Region of Waterloo is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity, inclusion, and supporting the well-being of our employees. We encourage qualified applicants to apply and will accommodate the needs of qualified applicants under the Human Rights Code in all parts of the hiring process.
Alternate formats of this document are available upon request. Please contact the Service First Contact Centre at phone number (519) 575-4400, TTY number (519-575-4608) to request an alternate format.
Click here to view the job description pdf file.
The Regional Municipality of Waterloo,
Human Resources Department
150 Frederick Street, 3rd Floor,
Kitchener, Ontario N2G 4J3