Length: Part-time and Full-time positions available
Department/Division: Transportation & Environmental Services/Transit Services
Hours of Work: 24 to 40 hours per week, various shifts, including evenings, nights and weekends
Union: Unifor Local 4304
Licensed Wage: $37.21 - $40.00 per hour
Apprentice Wage: $21.53 - $33.32 per hour
Location: Grand River Transit Centre, 85 Chandler Drive, Kitchener
Description of Duties:
Maintains and repairs buses, specialized vehicles, and other support vehicles/equipment. If hired as an apprentice, will be registered with the Ontario Ministry of Skills and Development and sign a written Apprenticeship Agreement with the Region. All work performed by apprentices are in accordance with Ministry regulations.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
• Knowledge and skill acquired through a valid Ontario College of Trades 310T Truck & Coach Technician Certificate.
• We will also consider Truck & Coach Technician Apprentices, 1- 4th year, as well as applicants holding a 310S Automotive Technician Certificate with 5 years of journeyperson experience and a willingness to obtain a 310T Truck & Coach Certificate.
• Knowledge of and ability to comply with policies, procedures, and legislation related to vehicle servicing (e.g., health and safety, WHMIS, Highway Traffic Act).
• Knowledge of onboard vehicle computerized equipment and test equipment (e.g., heating ventilation air conditioning systems, Vehicle Multi-Plexing (PLC, VBEA, Dinex), pro-link) and test procedures. Knowledge of diagnostics and repair of Voith, ZF, and Allison transmissions.
• Ability to work independently (subject to review by supervisor) and refer to supervisor for in-depth repairs, repairs that could result in major costs, and when ordering costly parts for increasing inventory compliment.
• Skill using a laptop computer to perform systems diagnostics.
• Must possess all hand tools applicable to the trade and ensure they are of good quality and maintained in safe operating condition.
• Must have a valid G driver's license, satisfactory driving record, and ability to attain a DZ driver's license within probationary period, or have a valid DZ driver's license and satisfactory driving record upon hire.
• Must provide an acceptable criminal and judicial matters check for bondability.
• Ability to communicate effectively with other staff and participate as an effective team member.
• Ability to read and follow maintenance manuals, parts books, wiring diagrams, and inspection procedures. Ability to write MTO and preventive maintenance inspection reports.
• Ability to support and project the Region’s values.
As a condition of employment, new Region of Waterloo employees will be required to submit proof of COVID-19 vaccination. Successful candidates will be required to submit proof of COVID-19 vaccination (two doses) from the Ontario Ministry of Health website or the World Health Organization directly through the Region of Waterloo Vaccination declaration survey. Successful candidates who have appropriate written proof of a validated medical reason, or a reason pursuant to the Ontario Human Rights Code, for not being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 may provide such documentation to the Recruitment Team. Such situations will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Please apply online, by the closing date Jan 31, 2023 quoting competition number 2022-1210.
We thank all applicants in advance; however, we will be corresponding only with those selected for an interview.
The Region of Waterloo is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity, inclusion, and supporting the well-being of our employees. We encourage qualified applicants to apply and will accommodate the needs of qualified applicants under the Human Rights Code in all parts of the hiring process.
Alternate formats of this document are available upon request. Please contact the Service First Contact Centre at phone number (519) 575-4400, TTY number (519-575-4608) to request an alternate format.
Click here to view the job description pdf file.
The Regional Municipality of Waterloo,
Human Resources Department
150 Frederick Street, 3rd Floor,
Kitchener, Ontario N2G 4J3