Manager, Economic Development – Full-Time
“Join us in shaping the Waterloo Region as world class community”
Region of Waterloo Council has a mandate to reimagine the future and bold and compelling vision to build a world-class community. At the Region, we work towards that vision on a daily basis and strive to improve the lives of all 630,000 residents by delivering critical, high-quality and inclusive services, and helping to build a thriving economy.
Committed to fostering opportunities for current and future generations, the Region of Waterloo is an inclusive, thriving and sustainable region of connected rural and urban communities with global reach. Our mission is to serve, engage and inspire, by delivering quality services to a diverse population, while creating a healthy, collaborative environment of learning, respect and innovation.
This is an organization where employees are valued. It is a place where employees are recognized for their talents. Our employees take pride in the work they do, and understand that what they do improves the lives of the Region’s residents.
We are looking for people like you to make our vision a reality.
In addition to offering a competitive compensation package, we have a strong focus on health and wellness, including fitness facilities and family-focused benefits.
In this leadership role within the Department of Planning, Development and Legislative Services, you will develop and implement actions that support Council’s vision of a thriving economy and provide leadership and guidance to a team of professional economic development staff. The work involves managing economic development initiatives related to land development, investment, cluster development initiatives, program delivery and data initiatives, smart city initiatives, and workforce development strategies.
Bring Your Experience to the Region of Waterloo
If you have comprehensive knowledge of major industry/sector strengths, economic development opportunities, and challenges in Southern Ontario, as well as a degree in a related field (e.g., commerce, business, finance, economic development, planning), we would love to hear more about you and talk to you about the role.
Apply Your Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
To assume the role of Manager, Economic Development, you will have a profile that reflects the following strengths:
- Experience in business processes that support efficient and effective delivery of government services
- Knowledge of and ability to comply with policies, procedures, collective agreements, and related legislation (e.g., Municipal Act, Planning Act).
- Knowledge of government approval processes, business development, infrastructure, sector growth strategies, and community economic development.
- Knowledge of key initiatives and processes related to smart cities, transportation connectivity, land development, and site readiness (e.g., infrastructure, servicing).
- Ability to exercise discretion and confidentiality regarding strategic directions, initiatives, and stakeholders.
- Project management skills to lead projects and determine and achieve milestones within mandated deadlines, ensuring successful outcomes with multiple stakeholders and competing interests.
- Analytical, research, organizational, and continuous improvement skills to use qualitative and quantitative methodologies to create and evaluate briefing materials, performance metrics, and project recommendations; lead business and economic development strategies and projects/proposals with multiple stakeholders; develop and assess business plans and proposals; develop agreements with federal, provincial, municipal, and non-government organizations; and develop innovative ways of engaging and working with the community.
- Leadership, human relations, facilitation, negotiation, public relations, and political acuity to manage, train, develop, motivate and support staff; develop and negotiate agreements; establish and maintain effective relationships with community and investment stakeholders, Council, and Regional staff; chair and participate on committees, task forces, and special projects; prepare and present materials for senior management and Council; strategically communicate with departments and facilitate amongst competing interests to influence and reach consensus; and participate as an effective team member.
- Computer skills using Microsoft Office (including Excel), with ability to extract database information to prepare reports and analysis.
- Ability to understand data sets, proposals, and contracts. Ability to write correspondence, reports, business plans and applications/submissions for funding, sector profiles, briefing materials, proposals, and data reports.
- Ability to travel within and occasionally outside Waterloo Region.
- Ability to support and demonstrate the Region's values.
Please apply online, by the closing date Sep 29, 2021 quoting competition number 2021-2020.
We thank all applicants in advance; however, we will be corresponding only with those selected for an interview.
The Region of Waterloo is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity, inclusion, and supporting the well-being of our employees. We encourage qualified applicants to apply and will accommodate the needs of qualified applicants under the Human Rights Code in all parts of the hiring process.
Alternate formats of this document are available upon request. Please contact the Service First Contact Centre at phone number (519) 575-4400, TTY number (519-575-4608) to request an alternate format.
The Regional Municipality of Waterloo,
Human Resources Department
150 Frederick Street, 3rd Floor,
Kitchener, Ontario N2G 4J3